M&M

Monday, June 19, 2006

County Fair!!



The moment you enter through the fair gates your senses go on overload. Living in a large city you expect there to be a multitude drifting in and about the grounds in search of the largest stuffed animal for the cheapest price or the world's largest sausage or even, simply, a plate full of fried batter dusted with powdered sugar affectionately called "funnel cake". At this county fair you could barely move let alone take your eyes off of the people you are with for fear one or all of you might possibly be swallowed up by the masses. We were not 5ft from the front gates when Mike and I were scammed, $4.00 for a med sized cup of apples and caramel. I guess it really is like Jessica A said, "If your coming to the fair, you'd better come fully prepared to be scammed out of all your money."
Next came the part I hated most, the dreaded "please just ride this one ride, pretty please?!" There is something about roller coasters, tilt-a-whirls, and the Zipper that makes my palms sweat. I tried to explain to Jon, Jess and Mike, I just don't enjoy being scared out of my wits. I think I have an over dose of mothering instinct. "Don't touch that! You might get hurt! Come down from there! Don't you know how dangerous that could be?” my thoughts as I am forced into line behind bubba and four totally excited kids. The ride is basically a much faster version of the average tire swing, much faster; and Mike tried to tell me "Watch, that thing isn't really going that fast." (Mike is following the ride's motion with his arm). NOT THAT FAST MY BUTT!! Needless to say that was the first and last ride for me that evening. I hold firm to the position of 'holder of all things valuable' while others scare themselves repeatedly. Anyway, $60 or $70 some odd dollars later we retreated from the chaos with full bellies and powdered sugar covering our lips. I still think the fair is fun, even if I can only ride the Farris Wheel.